At “El Panecillo” you will see every church, street, and corner of Quito from the world’s tallest aluminum sculpture.
“El Panecillo is a natural elevation of 3,000 mts. above sea level. It was named after its resemblance to a small bread; it is located in the very heart of the city of Quito. It is one of the most visited places in the city. Due to its location, it has become the most important natural viewpoint of the city, from which you can appreciate the urban layout of the capital, from its historical center and towards the north and south ends.
The place received its name from the Spanish conquerors, as it was previously called by the natives as “Shungoloma” which in Quichua means “hill of the heart”. In the pre-Inca era, there was a temple of worship to the sun, called “Yavirac”, which was destroyed by Rumiñahui while he and his troops resisted the Spanish advance.
As a vestige of the Inca era in this sector, we find “la Olla del Panecillo”, which is a kind of circular cistern of eight meters deep that was filled with rainwater that was used to irrigate the crops of the place. In colonial times, the water collected here was used to irrigate the gardens of the Bellavista mansion and was later used as a defense site for the colonial troops during the libertarian battle of Pichincha on May 24, 1822.
Throughout the colonial period, the Panecillo marked the end of the city at the southern end, and therefore travelers arriving from cities like Ambato, Guayaquil, Latacunga, Lima or Cuenca knew, upon seeing it, that their arrival in Quito was a matter of only a couple of hours.
- The globe represents the world and above it is the serpent, which represents the sin that Eve committed
- The base of the monument measures eleven meters and thirty meters the image of the Holy Virgin
- Upon entering the monument, visitors are at 3016 m.a.s.l. and upon reaching the vantage point, at 3027 m.a.s.l.
- The weight of the statue is 124,000 kilograms
- The open wing of the Virgin is 90 square meters. These pieces were assembled on the ground and then assembled to the body
- Our Lady’s crown is composed of 12 stars representing the 12 apostles or the 12 tribes of Israel
- The face of the Virgin Mary, like the other parts, was brought from Spain by boat to Ecuador in 1974
- The dragon’s head represents the demon
Visit to the city’s viewpoint at 3027 m.a.s.l.
Visit the permanent exhibition of the history of the monument
Exhibition of stained glass windows of Marian devotions in the country
El Panecillo recommendations
If you want to have a pleasant visit you should make sure you bring the following with you:
– Warm clothing at night
– Something sweet, because of the temperature
Location: Cumbre del Panecillo, Gral Melchor Aymerich
Phone number: (+593) 2 317 1985 / (+593) 2 228 6014
Schedule: Monday to Wednesday: 09:00 – 17:00
Thursday to Sunday: 09:00 – 21:00
Fee: General admission: USD 1.00
Special ticket: USD 0.50
About “Old Town Quito Suites”
Completely unique, individual “Bed & Breakfast” apartments of incomparable charm await you in Quito. The most unique and enchanting hotel experience in Quito with a gold standard in personalized hospitality. Located at walking distance of the old town, and with his style and Ecuadorian charm, “Old Town Quito Suites” is considered as one of the finest boutique hotels in Quito. Enjoy a luxury hotel stay at a top-notch location…
More information about Old Town Quito Suites: https://luxuryhotelsinquito.com/
For booking with us: https://bookings.oldtownquitosuites.com/bookings/checkavailability